Come Spring/Summer 2009 we’re all going to be eager to hit the beach; preferably one of many from the beauty of the Mediterranean.
But which swimwear pieces and bikinis will women be wearing?
2009 fashion trends will again be a major influencer and, in particular, the year’s one shoulder fashion trend.
* One-Shoulder Bikinis and Monokinis
* Cut-Away Bikinis
* Accessorizing A Bikini
One-Shoulder Bikinis / Monokinis
Taking their cues from the one shoulder fashion trend, one-shouldered bikinis will be the must have swimwear in 2009.
Thankfully, a standout one-shouldered swimwear piece isn’t going to be hard to come by.
1. Marios Schwab married the one-shouldered bikini with the cutaway bikini trend on his Spring/Summer 2009 runway at London Fashion Week. This particular piece also uses Summer florals taking what a risqué bikini to a girl level. It’s cut and under-strapping make this a particular good piece for smaller chested girls.
2. Victoria’s Secret included a single-shouldered piece in their 2008 line-up. More notable for it’s side-tie briefs, this attention grabbing feature makes it a good bikini for girls whose legs are stand out.
3. A one-shouldered monokini was naturually used on Hervé Léger by Max Azria‘s Spring/Summer 2009 catwalk but sadly with no-where near the same sex appeal as other pieces in the collection. Read cut-away swimwear below for more
4. Under his own name Max Azria also sent a single-shouldered monikini down the catwalk, again pairing it with the cut-away trend. This particular piece stands out for it’s use of a buckle clasp to join the body fabric with the shoulder. As with piece 3, smaller breasted girls are probably to avoid these particular cuts as they their black fabric will need some filling out to look best.
5. While not truly a one-shoulder monokini, Gottex’s piece from their Spring/Summer 2009 collection has the same visual effect. It’s clever halter neck also allows for a more revealing but and better support.
6. Finally, if you still have access to 2008 pieces; Gucci debuted their sophisticated take on the one-shouldered monokini as a part of their Spring/Summer 2008 collection.
Cut-Away Swimwear / Bikinis
Cut away clothes pieces are a major trend of 2009 and much like the one shoulder trend, it’s a style being applied to bikinis and swimwear. Infrequently demure, this really is one bikini trend that screams ‘sex’!
1. Not as tightly fitting as other ‘spray on’ monokinis this season, Amanda Wakeley‘s white one-piece pairs a deep neck line with cut-away sides.
2. A two-piece with boob-tube, this bikini by Carmen Marc uses the cut-away trend with subtlety. All the same, these cutaway briefs are more than eye catching.
3. A monokini by Carmen Marc, this swimwear piece is equally as subtle as the aforementioned two-piece, but far more demure.
4. Similar to Amanda Wakeley‘s white one-piece (1) this screen-printed monokini is from Miss Sixty.
5. The most luxurious of the pieces featured, this almost-two-piece monokini from Gottex pairs a halter-neck top, joined briefs, and gold piping.
6. – 10. are all from the one catwalk which screamed sex, decadence, and youth; the one catwalk that really grabbed my eye at New York Fashion Week; Hervé Léger by Max Azria Spring/Summer 2009. With enough cut-away than you can possibly wear throughout Summer, these are knock-out pieces that you’re not necessarily going to want to get wet.
Dressing Up Your Swimwear
Of course, all swimwear isn’t for swimming in. For any fashioniser beaches, pools and resorts are equally about socialising and mojitos as they are about cultivating the perfect tan; face facts, we’re not always there to get our toes wet.
Enter a Spring/Summer season where no beach-wear will be complete without accessorizing. And the one key trend to use? The sheer trend.
While he gave us some of the season’s sexiest bikinis by way of label Hervé Léger, with his own label Max Azria relied on the sheer trend (1 & 2) as a way of setting off otherwise lackluster swimwear; a good thing to note if you intend to recycle pieces from last year. Gottex one upped him however, with their gold, floral halter sheer slip which was a stand out of New York Fashion Week‘s swimwear fashions (3).
Hats off though to Milly by Michelle Smith Spring/Summer 2009 who sent her models down the runway with beachwear accessorizing perfect for 2009’s bohemian fashion trend.